Sunday, July 4, 2010

Magazine shopping!

Today I realized something: what started out as a problem is now becoming an addiction. I started this project to get rid of my old magazines, but now I'm just buying more and more of them! I just can't get enough! I think “Well sure, you can get pictures of runway shows on the internet.” but it takes a lot of research and time. Magazines make it easier for us, plus there are lots of articles and useful ideas.

Today I'll show you some tips on buying magazines to get inspired.

Tip #1: Think globally

Don't limit yourself to local magazines. There's nothing more inspiring than seeing another country's point of view on your subject of interest.

Sure, it can get a bit costly if you make this a habit. If you don't want to spend too much, wait for the fashion weeks to happen and buy magazines then. You'll get the best of the season's runways.

This was an awesome find! A Spanish magazine came with this extra issue containing all the big spring/ summer runway shows!

Tip #2: Fashion isn't only about clothing

Don't limit yourself to fashion magazines. You can get plenty of inspiration from hair styling magazines and make up magazines! Look for art magazines that focus on photography as well.

Here’s an example of the variety I try to get. Click to zoom. Edit: Where it says Brasilian Elle, it's actualy a Portuguese Elle. Sorry for the mix up! I do have Brasilian Elle's, though.

Tip #3: Ebay is your friend

You can find plenty of international magazines for sale on the World Wide Web. They’ll be older issues, of course, but the good thing about it: they’ll be cheaper!

One of my FAVORITE magazines is a French one called Numéro. The original price is 5 Euros but it’s very expensive where I live (around $40). Searching around, I’ve found an issue on Ebay for as low as $8.99!

---

These are the 3 things I always try to consider when buying my magazines. I hope it helps in opening your horizons!
If you have any favorite magazines that you really recommend, be sure to tell me in the comments section!

Much love
=]

No comments:

Post a Comment